Wednesday, March 7, 2012

choosing wisely

It's approaching that time.  That time of night when my children are dreaming and I'm still awake.  It comes after the prayers are said and the three kids are tucked into their beds.  It's after I speak a blessing over them quietly in my mind, and exit the room they all share.

Honestly, my heart is happy for a break.  I need this recharge of my own self.  It's right about now in the night that I jump into something that I've been wanting to do all day.  It's just about this time that I don't think to ask God, what do you want me to do tonight?


I must say that I've become in the habit of being a little selfish, lets not even sugar coat it, just plain selfish, with my night time.  And "sugar coat" it I do, as I consume my bowl of ice cream instead of consuming the one who made me.

For a long time I've been pretty satisfied with my night time choices.  TV, icecream, repeat.  Every night is the same.   But tonight, I want to be different.  Tonight, I want to ask God what He wants me to do instead of mindlessly falling into my habitual ways.

It all comes down to choices, right?  Every minute of our day, we make one.

Seek His will in all you do,
      and He will show you which path to take.

Proverbs 3:6 NLT

My day doesn't end at night time... so, tonight I'm daring myself to skip the tv and replace it with extra reading, and writing time.

You may be wondering, what about the ice cream habit... lets just take this one step at a time!

What will you choose today?
I would love to hear about how God is changing your choices!

8 comments:

  1. Woow, Habits! They can be hard for me to break! Last week though, I broke one!One that had been 'breaking' me hard and deep for a loooong time! Mine was Hiding. Hiding myself from other safe people. Adam from Eden and I have had that one in common for, it seems like forever! But my God,through His loving power drew me out and into experiencing Him in a very new, freeing way! I am soooo grateful, the 'Joy' that is in me now is simply covering me in ways I've never known before! I adore the trinity, the Godhead, the three in one!! Each doing their work...in the life of one of his children who He called out to me saying, 'Joanne, where are you!' And I got to say back to Him, 'I'm right here!!!' Can we talk? And we DID!! Woow, Thank you Jesus for your final words! For this is indeed, Finished!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joanne, that's so true... if we don't break our habits they just might break us. And we've all been broken. I am OVERJOYED over your new found freedom in this! Our Father is patient and doesn't stop until we are healed and recovered! Thank you SO much for stopping by and sharing with me!
      p.s. I am having an AMAZING no tv night!

      Delete
  2. Love ice cream. Love what you said about asking God to tell you what HE wants with that time. It is treasured here too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Rachel! Ice cream is a hands down #1 favorite in this house too! I am having an amazing no tv night! My evening doesn't feel empty at all. God is filling it up quite nicely. I'm praying blessings your way girl as you seek our loving God tonight too! Thanks for the visit, be blessed sister!

      Delete
  3. I start my day by asking God what to do, but by the end of the day, I'm afraid He'll say more work! But maybe He will say, "Have some chocolate and read a good book. I can hope, right?" I so enjoy your posts.

    I can't sign in with my Typepad blog for some reason www.melaniewilson.org.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Melanie, I'm generally more of a morning person to start with and by the time my responsibilities are over for the day I just want to "veg". I tend to forget about HIM...I can say that I feel more satisfied tonight than any of my other tv watching nights. He is so good to us, and prompts us with what we need. The best choice! Thanks for sharing sister!

      p.s. I called in my tech support (hubby) and he couldn't figure out why you weren't able to use the Typepad option, sorry.

      Delete
  4. Does blogger allow you to comment with just a name and a URL? That seems to be the problem since the Typepad option is malfunctioning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sweet Melanie! Blogger does have a setting that would allow Name/URL, but my hubby recommended that I keep it set to "registered" only how I have it now. He just explained all of that for me. :)

    Are you having the Typepad Login issue on other Blogger sites?

    ReplyDelete